Thursday, November 5, 2015

Day 8/9 of Whole Food Cleanse is Less than Perfect


NOOOOOOO! 7 days of eating nothing but vegetables, fruit, meat and a few nuts and I’m bloated.

And the IBS is back.  With a vengeance. It hurts. 

I hoped changing my diet would help.  And it did.  Almost immediately.

And then it didn’t. 

I wonder if this is just a day 8/9 thing like the book, The Whole 30, suggests and my gut is “starting to heal and rebalance”  (sure, that's one way of putting what I'm experiencing) or if I need to take the dietary changes a step further and exclude FODMAP foods.  Things the IBS society (who knew there was a society?) recommends you avoid if you happen to have IBS.  

I read the list.  I throw things. I swear.  

Seriously?  Garlic?  I need to give up garlic?  And onions?  And beets?  Really? Broccoli? Cauliflower?  KALE?  

What the *&^% will I eat?  What's left? I can live without the sweet peas and corn that the diet prohibits if I’m allowed these veggies.  I love roasted beets & garlic.  Yesterday I had a heap of them, with a side of kale chips.  Yum. I had a handful - maybe 3 handfuls - of nuts together with  an apple to stave off hunger. All high FODMAP foods.    And today, before 9 a.m. I’ve raced to the toilet 3 times.    Make that 4.  Great.

I just noticed that avocado is on the FODMAP list too.  I stare glumly at the 2 fresh ones I bought yesterday.  I’m the only one in the house who will eat them.  They are such a good source of fat.  So filling.  I had some drizzled with aged balsamic vinegar this morning for breakfast. Do I actually have to find another source of Omega 3 fats?  That tastes good?  Maybe this whole Real Food thing is a waste of time.  

I  want to comfort my distress with a warm buttered baguette.  But I won't.  

Postscript:  I did a little more research.  Fodmap lists are inconsistent. The only ones I will look at from this day forward do not include Kale and suggest that limited beets and avocado are fine.  Whew.  Kale Crisis averted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment