Thursday, October 29, 2015

Committing to The Whole 30 Food Cleanse



It's that easy.  A friend on Facebook asks if I want to begin a 30 day program that  involves eating only fruit, vegetables and meat, I know I need this,  so I'm in.

If only that were true. 

In my head I commit.  I read the (entire) Whole 30 website.  It's good. I buy the book.  I read the book (with several glasses of wine and some chips). It's funny, informative and engaging.  I really want to do this.  Soon.

Perhaps I should read It Starts With Food, the first book written by the authors of The Whole 30, first for a little sciencey background.  I buy it on Kobo.  I feel like it could have been written just for me. 

My cupboards need to be cleaned out. I need to shop for compliant foods.  I need to figure out a meal plan.  Possibly not in that order.   I need to see if my husband and daughter have an interest in joining me and if not, I need to figure out what I am and am not willing to do for them. 

My brain is spinning.  I have a bit of cheese and some crackers while preparing some pasta for dinner.  It goes nicely with the left over apple crisp. 

I've invited company for dinner on Saturday night.  The evening requires wine. (Really?  30 days without wine?  That must be a mistake.) I can't start before that.  I buy enough wine for a dinner party of 30.  There will be 6 of us. 
 
It doesn't really make sense to start a sugar-free diet before Halloween.  I purchase enough Halloween treats  -a variety of chips and chocolate to satisfy the cravings of a small town - knowing  full well that we haven't had more than 20 Trick or Treaters since we moved in.   I may as well have some. 

And I'm reminded why I wanted to do this in the first place: My belly is swollen.  It hurts.  My insides are screaming at me.  My joints hurt.  My muscles are starting to hurt in a weird way - not like I've been using them but achy.  I feel like I have a small elephant resting on my chest.  My brain is foggy.  Not just a little. 

I'm not waiting another day.  Not another meal.  I'm in.  For dinner.  Today. 






1 comment:

  1. And I thought all those feelings were just normal. Screaming intestines, achy muscles, inflamed joints, stiff limbs, forgetfulness, poor sleep, lack of focus, irritableness, lethargy... that's just who I am. Right? You would know, you grew up with me. I have a newly stocked cupboard full of assorted crackers and a fridge full of cheese, not to mention all the candy I bought for Halloween knowing that we have had no little spooks show up at our home in the country for the past two years..... Great timing for a challenge Evangeline! And I'm drinking my coffee without cream while reading this blog. Yick. Life is too short and painful not to indulge. Yes, yes, I know you are right little sister, I've been through this before. I felt great after a torturous clean out diet and vowed never to backslide... On my menu for tonight, roast (organic free range )chicken that we raised, carrots and potatoes from our garden, gravy, dressing, pecan pie and then later, wine with crackers while I watch Mad Men on Net flicks. That was my plan anyway. And someone has to finish up all these mini chocolate bars and bags of chips. They can't go to waste!

    ReplyDelete