Saturday, October 31, 2015

Day 3 of The Whole 30

Day 3 of  The Whole 30 Program.  Rather than feeling hung over like the book suggests I might, I feel good.  Not perfect.  But good. 

I don't feel hungry.  This is amazing for me.  I'm always hungry. Even after a big meal.  Sometimes especially after a big meal. 

The only thing that I'm finding hard so far is not getting on the scales.  Seriously.  

Weighing myself has been a daily habit all of my life.  Perhaps obsessively so.  It may not have stopped me from eating, but it has certainly been a factor in how I judge myself.  Watching the numbers of the scales drop the last time I tried an elimination diet was what kept me going.  I weighed less, therefore I was succeeding.  I gained, I was wasting my time.  The Whole 30 doesn't allow for any external measures.  I weighed myself before I started, I will again on day 31 (maybe) but between now and then, no scales, no tape measure.  I just am.  

Rather than focusing on what I can't eat, I'm focusing on filling my plate with good things. And it's been fun.  I've given myself permission to spend more money on better food.  How?  Why? 

First, I cajoled, forced, begged, encouraged my husband to try the 30 days with me.
It is so much easier to do things for other people than for myself. 

I don't particularly like cooking.  Baking yes.  Cooking no. And I'm cheap about food.  I shop and cook based on what's on special that week.  

I often stare forlornly into my fridge or cupboard hoping to be inspired but see only shrivelled carrots, some canned or dried beans, and a bag of rice.

 You'd be amazed what I can turn that into for the family but when I'm cooking just for me?   Corn chips and bright orange cheese?  (Who put that there?!)  Sounds like a decent meal.  Mr Noodle?  If I toss in some frozen mixed vegetables I'm sure its a decent meal.  Sometimes the only thing that calls my name is McDonalds (yes it's true but don't tell anyone).

On the 30  Day Whole Food Plan, left to my own devices I might have nothing more than tuna on plain greens.  The thought is depressing.  

 But for someone else? I find myself standing in the cute little local, organic, farm-fresh, grass-fed, antibiotic-free store I'd never noticed before.  When I see the prices, I almost walk out.  Then I compare what it would cost me to have a Big Mac Meal  versus organic greens drizzled in Balsamic vinaigrette and olive oil and a pork chop with roasted red pepper sauce and I come out on top. 

As I do when I compare that McDonald's meal to the roast chicken, fresh yellow beans, organic greens, and garlic mashed potatoes (yes potatoes are on the diet!) with coconut milk.  It's not a cheap bird but it's delicious and best of all, I have enough left overs for several lunches. 

Maybe the novelty of eating/cooking/shopping like this will wear off.   But my husband is hoping it doesn't before I try the recipe for banger sausage patties with sweet potato mash andcaramelized onions. 






2 comments:

  1. Yum! Looks way prettier than a bowl of Doritos. Probably tastes better too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally was.... and without the chemical burn-up I experience after a Dorito-fest.

      Delete